Friday, May 4, 2012

What the Sheriff had to say (2)



It.s, mushroom season and i,ve found found myself in unlikely spots.  On my daily walks, i,ve noted the daily changes in the plant community from January to today.  how the plants grow. and why morels appear every spring in the places they do.  Yesterday i put myself to the test and rocky too.  i had predicted that a certain spot on mt baldy, under/near the power lines, would contain old as well as new mushrooms.  And if it was true- i could predict where the first morels of the season were likely to be.  The challenge,  required a trip to the top of Mt. Baldy.


As usual there are two ways to walk there.  One is difficult the other more so.  Spot one lied on the other side of the mtn. down about 500 ft.  On the way up the tower (gated) road--only republicans have a key.-- I started down to the left , following a ravine to the power lines on the s.e. flank of mt baldy. It looked


It.s, mushroom season and i,ve found found myself in unlikely spots.  On my daily walks, i,ve noted the daily changes in the plant community from January to today.  how the plants grow. and why morels appear every spring in the places they do.  Yesterday i put myself to the test and rocky too.  i had predicted that a certain spot on mt baldy, under/near the power lines, would contain old as well as new.  And if it was true- i could predict where the first morels of the season were likely to be.  The Problem was that  required a trip to the top of Mt. Baldy.

 


 As usual there are two ways to walk there.  One is difficult the other more so.  Spot one lied on the other side of the mtn. down about 500 ft.  On the way up the tower (gated) road--only republicans have a key.-- I started down to the left , following a good when i arrived at a. sunny location.under a power line. There were no morels, something was missing.  Above me lay the top, seemingly straight up.  *reminder*  Below the planes were taking off at Felts Field.  It was cold,misty,rainy cold.  rocky scampered ahead--staying above me-as i worked my slow ponderous way up, ever up with rocky leading the way.  Inspecting a forest downed by chainsaw during a fire---a perfect spot..no schrooms..to impale yourself on a blacked-broken tree,lying crossways below you..  I moved slowly, rocky watched--it was tough,dangerous, but kept me warm..



On the other side of the mountain.  a small area (s.w.) had attracted me .  I walked over and discovered a ridge one side to the east-the other  west.  I checked the east side-- nothing.. The west slope was BINGO..  there were fresh mushrooms and old mixed together on a terribly steep slope and well hidden.  my feet started to ache .  by the time i finished , my legs burned and my feet hurt. Rocky waited patiently for me.  I kept to my plan stayed in the mushroom zone and worked my way back to the street. I was tired rocky was quiet--the sheriff said he was well behaved. Rocky was cold.








* consult topo sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment