Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rockys Training ??

i,m smart enough to know that labs are easy to train, very forgiving of mistakes and try hard to please their family. Labs rule the entire family and friends with devotion and lots of love for everyone.  rocky needed a new home.   The family ,broken up, kept him in an apartment .  He spent up to 10 hrs a day in a shipping crate.  He greeted me with that look, love and hope, "fired up and ready to go"*. 

I told his owner, "that rocky would never spend another day in his crate".  I promised rocky that i would take him for a walk everyday.  I have kept that promise. and the blessings have continued in the face of downers. 

At first we walked to Safeway, i was so slow,  rocky pulled, he was curious and smelled every bush (giving me a break).  I had to stop 3 times on a 6 block trip!  I bought a harness for him and a 25 foot tape leash ,to let him roam a bit,  and not drag me all over.  It became apparent that didn,t know anything about the real world.. or Even how to ride.  He drug me all over,  he,s jerked me off my feet twice. the problem had to solved.  One day i decided that if he pulled i would stop,  I didn,t care if it took 2 hours to walk 2 blocks., the pulling had to stop..  Rocky learned quickly that to get what he wanted, he had to stop pulling..  Gradually, his behavior has improved.  Of course in stores , coffee shops etc he has always been on best behavior.

When Rocky first came he was very anxious.  The first week he slept where i put my feet when i get out of bed.  Later he slept in the doorway of our bedroom- so he would know if i left.

 New Words:  The truth of the matter is that Rocky has trained me to be obedient, take him for a walk everyday, and feed him off my fork.  He took over the bottom of the bed a along time ago. I was afraid that he would get hit on the One Ways a block from the house.. Some how he never did.go again.  Instead he started running away to the neighbors fenced backyard.  I would drive the van over (200ft.) and load him up ,to go for his walk.  Later, i tried loading Rocky without a lease. I noticed he ran around the van twice before loading.. It is so much fun to watch him express his joy.  A couple of days after rocky,s fight, we walked one of our trails and it was all labs-a lab convention-6 labs brighteyes smiling facees--running around, happy to be together.  I realized then that there are only two kinds of dogs: Biters, and retrievers. (forgive my prejudice , you dachshund lovers) (nah don,t!) .





*President Obama's slogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment