Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Potatoes Sprout-Nip and its effects





I had no idea that any chemicals were used on potatoes....I am shocked by the warnings about keeping these chemicals off potato fields for at least a year.
I took all of my potatoes and put them into my compost pile. I have used the red fingerling potatoes both in my garden and compost pile. The red fingerling potatoes, did Not germinate. in my garden and i,m worried about the long term damage to my garden. I,ve used caution about what i put in my compost pile and garden..I never use lawn clippings because of the use of "cides" which kill everything i love "LIFE" !

Now, I don,t know what i can put in my compost pile. I,m absolutely stunned to know i ingested poisoned potatoes. Potatoes which will not germinate.. After 6 months the potatoes have not rotted. They are sitting unchanged...indestructible in my compost pile.
I even used roottone on one potato hoping it would germinate. No such luck!What is sprout nip ? When is it applied ? Why is it my potatoes won't even rot in my compost pile ? will sprout nip affect my garden ? I note that fields treated must be fallowed for a year.


Washington State Potato Commission
 Sprout Nip is a type of anti-sprouting agent that is applied to some potatoes, usually as they are being packed into boxes or bags. Clove oil is another common agent that is used for the same purpose. Both slow the growth of sprouts on potatoes. The potato is a living, breathing, organism and wants to start growing when you take it out of cold storage. These agents are applied to slow sprouting during transportation or while in distribution warehouses. They don't last very long so that is why your bag of potatoes will start sprouting if left under the kitchen sink or in another warm area of the house. Sprout Nip is never used in a field. To make your potatoes break down easier in compost, please scrap or peel a portion of the skin. The potato skin is a great barrier to fungus and bacteria so you have to scrape some of that skin away to allow the composting organisms to breakdown the potato. Hope this information answers your questions .                                  
Robert M Ramstad Once sprout-nip is used, the potato can no longer be considered Organic. The application is a chemical which is directly injested by people and esp children who are growing.. I was schocked that the potatoes sat in my compost pile for monthes all thru a summer of 80 degree days. They may still be there. I took my shovel nd chopped them in half and they still didn't rot. I got no potatoes from my garden last summer because you applied this chemical without labeling the sacks as such. Frankly, the grower poisoned me, my garden/compost pile.. No one knows how many food bank recipients planted these potatoes, injested these potatoes. It is the height of irresponsibility to apply chemicals without telling the consumer. Finally you say sprout-nip is never used in fields, I beg to disagree, my information says that a field must not be planted (with potatoes) for a year...It must stay fallow.


I luv Potatoes ! I loved the fingerling potatoes.. i quarter them and bake them...Giant french fries and so good... My mom always said that the skin of a potato is where all the nuitrients are. And i eat the whole thing. If clean i don't necessarily wash them. Will washing remove sprout-nip.. Label your potatoes.

Robert,
Here is the information on Sproutnip that is was used on those little fingerling potatoes. I hope this helps.


DOC081214-08122014141128
.pdf

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment