Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My garden 2014

Today, I got some work done in the garden..My soil is getting really nice. We are at least 5 weeks away from general planting. I have set up three clear clothes storage boxes. as temporary green houses. I put a couple of inches of soil and am growing onions, leeks, bok choy..The Bok choy is litterly jumping out of the soil..I,m using willow (new growth) which i harvested,and clear plastic to create a dome roof so rain will run off.. I,m also using plastic ice cream gallon containers to create a safe envirionment for tomatoes , tomatillo,s, peppers and aspargus ( a 2 year project).. The nice thing is you can use clear plastic bags (grocery store) and by putting the handle up create a mini-gre-house..
I also have garlic ,onions and leeks which i,ve over wintered.. Last fall I pulled everything up and buried them 6" deep so they grow like leeks in stores. my bunching onions i buried last year in the spring and by the end of summer they were about 3/4 " in dia and were white about 4-6" inches from root to green. it does work.. In japan the climate is similar to seattle and overwintering is a common practice, miles and miles of common.
I have also planted a fugi apple tree, our favorite, but it hasn,t bloomed in 3 years and I paid 26$ for it. I also have a Jujuba bush (red berries) which i trimed and took the cuttings and used rootone and put in my bathroom..They are doing fabulous and i,ve given away three plants already and have another 5 or so to give away..If youd like one let me know. I,ll mail it to you.. using a damp paper towel a baggy and envelope--just the way i got it...


Like · ·

No comments:

Post a Comment