Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mushrooming in NW.

Rocky and I have been having a wonderful time in the woods.. We,ve been picking Boleteus Edulus..AKA King Bolete.. The darling of french cuisine...I,ve been picking about 10 to 15 #,s/ day. I,m drying them all.. in the spring i pick morels and dry them .. Last year Holly and I sold our morels at christmas.. I think we got one hundred eighty dollars this year.. by adding my boletes we might tripple the value..Makes for a great goal and great eating and a fun christmas
Boletes, like other mushrooms have a preferred micro habitat. Most mushrooms grow in edge habitats which may be only 1 to 3 feet wide and going maybe 10 feet.. in the case of boletes they like to grow on a grasy,slope.,where it is dry but close to mossy wet..I also believe that bollets "Like being stepped on" I always thought that puffballs use stepping on as they,re primary means of dispersal of their spores.. I didn,t know that large mushrooms use this technique also. Boletes have a short stem, compared to their width example say 2x6".... Large mushrooms need a lot of water close by.. boletes animals eat boletes and step on them. They,re color goes from off white--just breaking thru and then turn dark golden brown. when fully exposed. Boletes, are very visable when the edge is broken off,, thus advertising to being eaten.. at this stage.. Boletes are called stone mushrooms. because of their color shape and smoothness.. So, if you see me poking a rock...I,m not crazy, bolets are soft, rocks are hard.. When you poke a rock in a ditch and it gives--Aha! !
Like · · · about an

No comments:

Post a Comment