Thursday, October 31, 2013

a little about the 40,s

if u were born in the 40,s u listened to wind up music on the victrola, your first radio listening to nitetime shows "the shadow knows" and others, a really good time to be a kid. Every one adopted a dad-less kid. in my case my uncle stan took me fishing. the greatest fisherman ever. He took my sisters out and caught 40 bass, filled the trunk ..amazing!! my uncle Clem was my unknown spiritual mentor. He was full blood lakota Sioux.. He use to make indian fry bread in the morning on a two burner wood stove..later they got electricity. But i know how to correctly cook on a wood stove, and how to manage a campfire.. I,ve always missed him.. We went shoeless , all summer long,fishing,swimming and poking around. Not a care in the world..
I think,my uncle Stan taught me how to think-he was an engineer.  My uncle Clem shaped my heart, my feelings, the final decsion. 
I worried about polio..one year everyone was getting polio, it was really scary.  I couldn,,t get into line fast enough to get vaccinated..there was wooping cough, diptheria, and chicken pox.  I think i got it,it was bad but u survived..Polio was awful!--to watch your friends go from total mobility to a lung,a wheel chair and finally, metal contraptions to walk.  I,ve never been so scared..that one summer, before the vaccine.

No comments:

Post a Comment