Sunday, August 4, 2013

Is spokane, wa. weather colder? Are insect populations collapsing?

This is a letter i sent to WSU ag dept: Gentlemen, my garden is a dis aster. I planted and the plants started then cold weather stopped growth until the last week of june. this does not allow for sufficient growth time 70-90-days? Also I note that the plants are attacked by pests if they,re cold and not growing. I note that spokane is north of the jet stream until late spring >middle of june. The tri cities seem to be on the so side of the jet stream. I passed thru pasco on june16 and their corn was 18 “ high—my corn was 4” high. my peas really suffered and were a maximum 18 “ high when they flowered... What do You have to say? Also, there seems to be no insects in town . I,ve seen 3 bees 1 grasshopper and absolute silence in the evenings. the quail population is way down iv,e only seen a few. No birds, no insects. what gives? Q: Have the number of growth degree days necessary for vegtables to grow and thrive decreased in recent years? I will be 70 on 8/16/2013. I take my lab for a walk-every day- mushroom hunting, fishing, etc and I think something is seriously wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment